Saturday 14 September 2013

El-Rufai: “Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed”



Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory
and chieftain of All Progressives Congress, APC,
Malam Nasir el-Rufai in this interview culled
from Saturday Sun talks about why he has
remained a constant critic of President
Goodluck Jonathan, why he cannot serve under the current administration and his plans
for 2015. Mr. el-Rufai, who said he understands
President Jonathan better than those around
him now, also adduced reasons why he thinks
the present administration cannot succeed. Excerpts… When asked if he has a hidden agenda for his
persistent criticism of government, Mr. el-Rufai
says, “No, no, no. Jonathan was actually a
good friend of mine at the time he was deputy
governor. To me, when a friend of mine is
destroying Nigeria, I have to speak. And I believe strongly that Jonathan has been
systematically destroying the fabric of unity in
this country. He has been promoting divisions
and corruption and impunity at the highest
level. Even if we were from the same mother, I
would criticize him if he does that. I don’t care! I think Nigeria is more important than
any relationship, personal or familiar. And if
my own brother was the one running Nigeria
the way Jonathan is ruining it, I will criticize
him.” Don’t you think your criticism will be better
channelled if you participate in his
government? No! I don’t believe that. I don’t believe that the
devil will repent. I don’t believe that when you
see something and you know how devilish it
is, you will improve. There is a limit to how
much you can change what is technically bad.
I believe that the Jonathan government is completely and totally bad and anyone that
joins will only come back spoilt. So, I don’t
believe that. I have never for a moment even
considered having anything to with the
Jonathan government. Not even for a
moment. People believe he listens more than former
President Obasanjo whom you worked with
and that you were one of the arrowheads that
made that government succeed. Those
advancing this argument also believe that
being part of this government, you would also make it succeed. What is your take on this? Nothing can make Jonathan succeed. He is
grossly incompetent, he doesn’t listen, he
doesn’t even understand the issues. I am
sorry! I know the man more than those that
are shouting with Jonathan because when he
was my friend, none of them even knew him. I knew Jonathan as a deputy governor in 2002.
That was when I first met him and we have
been relating. So, all these new found
Jonathan lovers should just shut up. I know
him and I know what he can do and what he
cannot do. So, please, they should just leave me alone. Those that want jobs can go and
take jobs. I don’t want. His plans for 2015 I am going to continue to work on building
our party at every level and hope that we will
present an excellent presidential candidate
that will ensure that Jonathan goes back to
Otuoke. That is my plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment