Monday 9 September 2013

Court dissolves 5-year-old marriage for consistent battering

An Ilorin Area Court on Monday dissolved a five-year-old marriage between Remi Olaniyi and Olaniyi Dare, for consistent battering.
Remi, 31, a resident of Gambari Area of Ilorin, had earlier prayed the court to dissolve her marriage to Dare, for beating her always.
She told the court that the defendant was not taking care of her and was fond of beating her under the slightest provocation.
“My husband always beat me unnecessarily whenever we have a little misunderstanding,” said the complainant.
Remi told the court that their marriage was contracted in 2008 and had produced two female children; Shade, 4, and Kemisola, 2.
“My Lord, I want an end to this marriage because I cannot bear the suffering and pains anymore,” she said.
The defendant did not object to the divorce prayer of his wife, saying that she was free to go as she pleases.
“My wife is stubborn and is fond of flaunting my orders, and this provokes me into beating her,” he said.
Dare prayed the court to grant the prayer of his wife without any claim.
The Presiding Officer, Mr Yusuf Abdulkareem, dissolved the marriage and issued a certificate of divorce to the plaintiff. (NAN)

No comments:

Post a Comment