Wednesday 18 September 2013

Rooney joy at reaching 200-goal mark

The forward, who appeared set to leave during
the summer, scored twice at Old Trafford to help
David Moyes' me get off to a perfect start in this
season's Champions League



Wayne Rooney was understandably delighted after scoring his 200th Manchester United goal in Tuesday night's Champions League win over
Bayer Leverkusen.
The England international opened the scoring at
Old Trafford before adding a second after the
break, with Robin van Persie and Antonio Valencia
also on target for the Red Devils in an exciting 4-2 win.
"It's something I'm really proud of," Rooney told
ITV Sport. "Delighted to be playing and scoring
and it's a good result - the first game in the
Champions League is always important and
thankfully we got the victory." However, the striker reacted angrily when
repeatedly questioned as to whether he asked to
leave the club during the summer transfer
window.
"Listen I'm concentrating on my football, as I've
done all summer," he stated. "I've got my head down, I've worked hard to get
myself fit and ready for the season. I'm delighted
with the way I've come back, delighted I'm back
playing and scoring goals.
"The fans have been brilliant, as I've said all
along, the fans here have been fantastic with me and it's great the reception I get here so hopefully
I can repay them with performances and goals
like tonight."
Rooney could have scored a hat-trick after
rounding goalkeeper Bernd Leno but could not
find the target from a tight angle and admitted he was undecided as to whether to shoot or pass to
strike partner Van Persie.
"I don't know, I was sort of in two minds," he
explained. "I didn't know whether to shoot or
Robin was there as well so I was in two minds so
maybe I should've gone straight for goal but at the end of the day we got the three points which
is more important."
Up next for Rooney and United in Group A is a trip
to Ukraine on October 2 to take on Shakhtar
Donetsk, who opened with a 2-0 win away to Real
Sociedad.

No comments:

Post a Comment